Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fresh Potted Herbs: You can do it too!

I planted basil in my garden this summer. It was fabulous! I used leaves for at least 20 recipes from that little $3.00 plant. It only died about a month ago because we were living away from our house for a month and never got to water it.
I planted some parsley and oregano in a flower pot and had it in my kitchen for a while, but got tired of it cluttering my already small amount of counter space. I set it on the back deck right in the middle of the all day sun with no shade. The pot I had planted it in didn't have a hole in the bottom either. Those plants died in about a week (along with a few other flowers I'd put out there).
However, I have a few potted plants that I've managed to keep alive for more than 4 months. One is sitting on my front porch that has great morning sun, but not that hot and heavy afternoon sun. It is also planted in a pot with a hole in the bottom to drain the water.
This is how I've planted my new herbs so I hope they last! I'll let you know how they do to see if this is a good spot for herb growing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish that I had a place to grow fresh herbs. I love cooking with them but its so expensive to buy them that I just opt for dried ones. I don't have a green thumb either but I have been able to keep a flower plant alive for about 1 month. Its an easy maintance one so all I have to do is water it and it grows great!! It sure is nice to look out side and see it.

Anonymous said...

i guess my problem is that I like to just use the container spices (its so much easier) but occasionally I'll get on a "do it all yourself homemade" kinda kick and I'll use fresh spices and herbs.

So about this blog...

I love to cook. I don't get to experiment with as much as I'd like, but I try what I can. I watch Food Network all the time and love trying things I see.
My twist is that I never follow a recipe completely. So, in my posts I'll tell you where I got the idea and the basic recipe, but I'll post the recipe the way that I made it.

All photographs on this blog will be my own, so it will be what food/recipes that I use really look like.