Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Steak Marinade with Green Beans and Mashed Potatoes

(Sorry about the bad picture; I forgot to take one and we were sitting down to eat. And it was a paper plate night...)

The meal sure was tasty though! I had some leftover steak from the other night so I went searching for a marinade. I found one that looked worth trying at Cooks.com. And normally I pour a can of green beans into a sauce pan and cook them until they're done with just salt and pepper. But I decided to be different tonight. The asparagus from last week gave me an idea.

Green Beans

1 can of Green beans
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Vegetable Seasoning

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drain the can of green beans and put green beans in a small pan. (I used a bread pan.) Lightly drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and a little bit of vegetable seasoning. (I used McCormick - great!) Put in the oven for about 10 minutes.

Mashed Potatoes

Packet of fast fixing mashed potatoes
Water
Heavy cream
Butter
Salt
Pepper

Use whatever brand or size of fast mashed potatoes that you like. (I used Idahoan brand.) As for the measurements, just substitute a fourth of the packet instructions for water with twice that much heavy cream. (If the packet says 1 cup water, use 3/4 cup water and 1/2 cup heavy cream.) Boil the water without the heavy cream. When the water is boiling add the cream slowly. Let it sit for just a minute (don't let it boil again) and then remove from heat to add potatoes. After potatoes have been sitting for the called for time, add as much butter as you like (I like a lot!) and salt and pepper. If you like your potatoes really creamy you can add more heavy cream.

Steak Marinade

1/2 cup Vegetable oil
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup Red wine
1 Tbsp. chopped Parsley
3 Tbsps. Balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. Garlic powder
1/2 tsp. each Salt and Pepper

Combine all ingredients. Reserve about a 1/4 cup for basting during cooking. In a ziploc bag, marinate steak for at least 4 hours. (The longer the better - up to overnight.)

1 comment:

Jamie & Ryan said...

You make all these meals look so pretty! I want to try them all!

So about this blog...

I love to cook. I don't get to experiment with as much as I'd like, but I try what I can. I watch Food Network all the time and love trying things I see.
My twist is that I never follow a recipe completely. So, in my posts I'll tell you where I got the idea and the basic recipe, but I'll post the recipe the way that I made it.

All photographs on this blog will be my own, so it will be what food/recipes that I use really look like.