Thursday, February 24, 2011

Brown and White Chex Mix

I got this recipe from one of my favorite cooking magazines… Taste of Home! As always, it’s a little different from the original recipe. For one thing, this is the “I’m cheap” recipe. I plan to one day try it with some reeses pieces added! But this is a super simple recipe that seriously takes about 15 minutes from start to eating!

Brown and White Chex Mix

6 cups Rice Chex cereal (totally can’t taste a difference if you use the cheap kind! Which I did.)

1 1/2 cups White Chocolate chips

1 1/2 cups Peanut Butter chips

1 cup Reeses Pieces (not in mine, but I want them!)

Line 2 cookie sheets with wax paper. Place 3 cups of cereal in a large bowl. In a small bowl, microwave white chocolate chips uncovered on High for about 1 minute – 1 minute 30 seconds (after about 1 minute check every 10 seconds and stir to make sure they don’t burn.) Take them out when you can stir them and they turn smooth. Shouldn’t do for more than 1 minute 30 seconds. Pour the melted chips over the cereal and stir with one of those soft spoonula things so you don’t crush the cereal. (I got mine at the dollar store) Once it’s all coated well spread in a single layer on one of the cookie sheets. Refrigerate for 5 minutes or until set. (I left mine in for about 8 minutes.)

Repeat all this with the peanut butter chips. When the time is up for the fridge, take the cereal out and break apart into pieces and put in an air tight container. Don’t let the cereal sit in the fridge for too long or it will get really hard and be really hard to break apart.

I actually did mine 2/3 white chocolate and 1/3 peanut butter the second time and next time I wanna do all white chocolate! It was SO good! My son even picked out the white chocolate pieces and left me with all the peanut butter ones!

So about this blog...

I love to cook. I don't get to experiment with as much as I'd like, but I try what I can. I watch Food Network all the time and love trying things I see.
My twist is that I never follow a recipe completely. So, in my posts I'll tell you where I got the idea and the basic recipe, but I'll post the recipe the way that I made it.

All photographs on this blog will be my own, so it will be what food/recipes that I use really look like.